The One Triune God
I. The Father (1.), the Son (2.), and the Holy Spirit (3.) are eternal.
1. The everlasting God (Rom 16:26).
Thus saith the Lord ... I am the first, and I am the last (Isa 44:6).
2. Son of man ... saying, I am the first and the last (Rev 1:13,17). Whose goings forth have been of old, from everlasting (Mic 5:2).
3. The eternal Spirit (Heb 9:14).
The One Eternal is our trust. The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms (Deu 33:27).
II. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit created all things.
1. The Lord ... it is He that hath made us (Psa 100:3).
One God, the Father, of Whom are all things (1Cor 8:6).
2. His dear Son ... by Him were all things created (Col 1:13,16).
All things were made by Him (Jesus, the Word, John 1:3,14,17).
3. The Spirit of God hath made me (Job 33:4). Who hath measured, ... who hath directed the Spirit of the Lord? (Isa 40:12-13).
The One Almighty is our trust. Commit the keeping of their souls to Him ... as unto a faithful Creator (1Pe 4:19).
III. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are omnipresent.
1. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord (Jer 23:24).
2. Jesus ... spake, ... Lo, I am with you alway (Matt 28:19-20).
3. Whither shall I go from thy Spirit? (Psa 139:7).
The One omnipresent God is our trust. In Him we live, and move, and have our being (Acts 17:27-28).
IV. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are omniscient.
1. No man knoweth the Son, but the Father (Matt 11:27).
Known unto God are all His works (Acts 15:18).
2. Neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son (Matt 11:27). Lord, thou knowest all things (John 21:17).
3. Who hath directed the Spirit of the LORD, or .. hath taught him? (Isa 40.13). The Spirit searcheth all things (1Cor 2:10).
We worship the One all-seeing God. All things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with Whom we have to do (Heb 4:13).
V. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are true, holy, and good.
1. He that sent me is true (John 7:28). Holy Father. Righteous Father (John 17:11,25). The Lord is good (Psa 34:8).
2. Jesus saith unto him, I am ... the truth (John 14:6). The Holy One and the Just (Acts 3:14). The good Shepherd (John 10:11).
3. The Spirit is truth (1John 5:6). The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost (John 14:26). Thy Spirit is good (Psa 143:10).
We adore the One Lord of infinite goodness. Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? For thou only are holy (Rev 15:4).
VI. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit each have a self-regulating will.
1. Blessed be the God and Father ... Who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will (Eph 1:3,11).
2. Jesus answered and said, ... to whomsoever the Son will reveal him (Matt 11:27). Father, I will (John 17:24).
3. Spirit .. dividing to every one severally as He wills (1Cor 12:11).
We rest on the will of Him Who alone is Jehovah. The will of the Lord be done (Acts 21:14).
VII. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are the fountain of life.
1. O God .. with thee is the fountain of life (Ps 36:7,9).
God ... hath quickened us (Eph 2:4-5).
2. The Son quickeneth whom He will (John 5:21).
In Him (Jesus, the Word) was life (John 1:4).
3. The Spirit is life (Rom 8:10). Born of the Spirit (John 3:8).
We depend on one life-giving God. Love the Lord thy God ... cleave unto Him ... for He is thy life (Deu 30:20).
VIII. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit strengthen, comfort, and sanctify us.
1. Thou strengthenedst me ... in my soul ... O Lord (Psa 138:3-4). Thus saith the Lord, ... I will comfort you (Isa 66:12-13). Sanctified by God the Father (Jude 1).
2. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me (Phil 4:13). Consolation in Christ (Phil 2:1). Sanctified in Christ Jesus (1Cor 1:2).
3. Strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man (Eph 3:16). The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost (John 14:26). Being sanctified by the Holy Ghost (Rom 15:16).
We trust in One God for spiritual power. My God, my strength, in whom I will trust (Psa 18:2).
IX. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit fill the soul with Divine love.
1. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him (1John 2:15). Every one that loveth Him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of Him (1John 5:1).
2. The love of Christ constraineth us (2Cor 5:14).
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ (1Cor 16:22).
3. I beseech you, brethren ... for the love of the Spirit (Rom 15:30).
Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit (Col 1:8).
The love of the One living and true God characterizes the saint. Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might (Deu 6:5).
X. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit gave the Divine law.
1. The law of the Lord is perfect (Ps 19:7). The word of our God shall stand forever (Isa 40:8). Thus saith the Lord God (Eze 2:4).
2. The law of Christ (Gal 6:2). The word of Christ (Col 3:16). These things saith the Son of God (Rev 2:18).
3. The law of the Spirit of life (Rom 8:2). Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost (2Pe 1:21). The Holy Ghost said (Acts 13:2).
The word of One legislator is the believer's rule. There is one Lawgiver who is able to save (James 4:12)
XI. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit dwell and fellowship in the hearts of believers.
1. God hath said, I will dwell in them (2Cor 6:16). God is in you of a truth (1Cor 14:25). Our fellowship is with the Father (1Jn 1:3).
2. Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith (Eph 3:17).
Christ in you, the hope of glory (Col 1:27).
Our fellowship is ... with his Son Jesus Christ (1John 1:3).
3. The Spirit ... dwelleth with you, and shall be in you (John 14:17). The communion of the Holy Ghost be with you (2Cor 13:14).
The contrite heart receives One Divine guest. Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, ... I dwell .. with him that is of a contrite and humble spirit (Isa 57:15).
XII. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are, each by Himself, the supreme Jehovah * and God.
1. I am Jehovah thy God (Ex 20:2). Thou, Jehovah, art most High for evermore (Psa 92:8).
2. Jehovah ... our God (Isa 40:3, with Matt 3:3). Thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest (Luke 1:76, with Matt 11:10).
3. The hand of Jehovah God .. took me .. Spirit lifted me up (Ezek 8:1,3). The Holy Ghost ... the power of the Highest (Luke 1:35).
The One supreme Lord God is our God for ever and ever. Jehovah, our Elohim, One Jehovah (Deu 6:4).
"From this brief comparison … Scripture assures us that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, have the same Divine attributes, concur with a mind and will and heart, are personally independent but unitedly harmonious, operate in the same Divine acts, and are addressed by the same Divine names. And further, we learn that our trust is not dispersed or confused by this co-equal Godhead of the Sacred Three: but that (a way of access being opened in the gospel through the revelation of the Father in Christ by the Spirit) we rest on, we worship, and we love One God."
Adapted from the book, The Trinity, by Edward Henry Bickersteth.
* "LORD" (in small caps; Strong's #3068) is "Jehovah" in the original Hebrew text.
Download the tract, and print double-sided short-edge, using cream colored paper.